Thursday, June 18, 2009

I didn't know there was so many rules

Today we finally met our blog critic, Ms. Fava. She came to tell us all about how to utilize a powerpoint as an "aide" to our presentation, not as the presentation itself. It turns out, there are many rules you have to go by when you are constructing a powerpoint. I never paid attention to the format or colors of each slide and I never kept anything consistent when I did powerpoints in the past. I had colors everywhere! There was a different style and color pattern on each slide. After this session, however, I have learned that a professional powerpoint has to be consistent throughout. You have to make sure that it can be read easily. By this I mean putting dark text on a light background, but maybe the darker tones should be used as opposed to bright reds and yellows. The design of each slide also has to be the same on each slide. I already knew that appearance speaks for you before your mouth does, but Ms. Fava reiterated this to us. Also it is good practice to make eye contact with members of the audience and make sure that you convey to the audience that you care about the fact that you are presenting to them. All of this information as well as more that I may have forgotten to include will be very helpful to me in the future because of all of the upcoming presentations my Pacer partners and I will be giving....soon :)

No comments:

Post a Comment